Saturday, July 16, 2016

The hidden opportunities within our 'problems'

Life is filled with endless opportunities. Sometimes the opportunities, or silver lining, are hard to see when we have problems with our health, finances, family, or career, but they exist. When we shift our thought patterns, good fortune will always be revealed.

As Napoleon Hill wrote in Think and Grow Rich, “One of the tricks of opportunity is that it has a sly habit of slipping in by the back door, and often it comes disguised in the form of misfortune, or temporary defeat. Perhaps this is why so many fail to recognize opportunity.”

Instead of recognizing the opportunities that lie within our “misfortune”, we often get angry and become closed minded. Some even feel vengeful, as if the world is out to get them. It is imperative that during these times we persevere, open our minds, and really pay attention. It is then that we realize that life is happening for us, not to us.

This perspective helps us remain hopeful in the present moment and about our future. It also allows for tremendous growth to take place, as it is during difficult times that we learn the most about ourselves. Challenges require us to truly look deep inside to find the life changing lessons. This is one of the gifts, or beauty if you will, of “problems.” They teach us character and how to be mentally and physically resilient.

Fifteen years ago, my life dramatically changed when I developed a painful neurological movement disorder called Dystonia. It has been the greatest challenge of my life, but also my greatest teacher. When I learned to live with it and not fight it so much, new doors opened for me to learn and grow. I had to work with it to find peace and healing. This gave me a new outlook on a life I thought was taken from me by this health condition. Dystonia changed things in major ways indeed, but it opened doors to important life classrooms.



We can’t change anything until we accept it. We have to stop saying life shouldn’t be this or that way; it should be this way, because it is this way! We have to stop resisting what is, move forward, and make great things happen.

With this in mind, I made a promise to myself. I said, “I do not know why this health issue happened to me and I lost everything, but I do know one thing for sure; something great is going to come from it because I refuse to go through this for nothing.” I first heard this from author and motivational speaker, Sonia Ricotti. I carry it with me every day and great things continue to happen

Be thankful for closed doors. They often guide us to the right one. Be thankful for what you have and you will end up having more. Don’t start your day with broken pieces of yesterday. Today is a new day to start fresh. Every day is another chance to change your life.


A healthy way to deal with problems is to look at them as opportunities for growth.
- C Norman Sheely, MD, PhD -

Tom Seaman is a Certified Professional Life Coach in the area of health and wellness, and author of the book, Diagnosis Dystonia: Navigating the Journey, a comprehensive resource for anyone suffering with any life challenge. He is also a motivational speaker, chronic pain and dystonia awareness advocate, health blogger, and volunteers for the Dystonia Medical Research Foundation (DMRF) as a support group leader, for WEGO Health as a patient expert panelist, and is a member and writer for Chronic Illness Bloggers Network. To learn more about Tom’s coaching practice and get a copy of his book, visit www.tomseamancoaching.com. Follow him on Twitter @Dystoniabook1 and Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment